The reason this pie is "impossible" is because the ingredients separate into three layers while baking. The heavy flour sinks to the bottom of the dish and pretends it's pastry; the light coconut floats to the top to make a kind of crust or topping; and the egg and milk stay happily in the middle making a delicious custard.
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 gram (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (40g) flaked almonds
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 24cm (9½in) pie dish.
- 2Combine sifted flour, sugar, coconut, eggs, vanilla, butter and half the almonds in a large bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring, until combined. Pour mixture into dish.
- 3Bake pie for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining almonds; bake for a further 15 minutes or until browned lightly and set.
You could add fresh blueberries to the mixture in step 2, before pouring into the dish.If you want to mix it up a bit, add the zest of one lemon, lime or orange to the mix.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021