- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (150g), chopped
- 250 gram (8 ounces) mini red capsicums (bell peppers), quartered
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) ripe vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 100 gram (3 ounces) drained persian fetta, crumbled
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 fresh green jalapeño chilli, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs, extra
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and beans; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste. Stir in coriander.
- 2Meanwhile preheat oven to 180°C/350°F; place a 1 litre (4-cup) ovenproof dish in the oven while preheating.
- 3Pour hot tomato mixture into hot dish, top with fetta; make four indents in the mixture. Break eggs into a cup, one at a time, sliding each into an indent. Sprinkle with chilli. Bake for 8 minutes or until whites of eggs are set and egg yolks are just beginning to set. (The cooking time will vary depending on what your ovenproof dish is made from, and may take up to 15 minutes to cook.)
- 4Serve topped with extra coriander.
The tomato mixture can be made a day ahead; reheat before adding the eggs. If you can't find mini capsicums, use 1 medium-sized capsicum instead and cut into chunky pieces. Serve with corn tortillas.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019