- 1 egg-white
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- few drops pink food colouring
- 1/3 cup honey
- 45 gram butter
- 1 cup plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1In a small saucepan, heat honey and butter together on low until melted and simmering. Cool 5 minutes.
- 2Sift flour, ginger, spice, soda and cloves together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in butter mixture and milk, stirring until well-combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes, until firm.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 4Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, working in a little extra flour gradually if needed, until mixture is no longer sticky.
- 5Divide mixture into two. Roll each into a sausage shape about 1.5cm thick. Cut each into 5mm widths. Arrange on trays and shape so they are oval.
- 6Bake for 8-10 minutes until they begin to crack. Allow to cool on trays.
- 7To make icing, place egg-white in a bowl and whisk until frothy. Add icing sugar gradually, blending until smooth. Stir in colouring. Spread over cooled biscuits. Allow to become firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesToday 1:55am
- Easy Spanish paella recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy pastry twistsYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato Salad RecipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Brilliant broccoli recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheYesterday 1:59am
- Classic sconesYesterday 1:35am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020