- 1 egg-white
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- few drops pink food colouring
- 1/3 cup honey
- 45 gram butter
- 1 cup plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1In a small saucepan, heat honey and butter together on low until melted and simmering. Cool 5 minutes.
- 2Sift flour, ginger, spice, soda and cloves together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in butter mixture and milk, stirring until well-combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes, until firm.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 4Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, working in a little extra flour gradually if needed, until mixture is no longer sticky.
- 5Divide mixture into two. Roll each into a sausage shape about 1.5cm thick. Cut each into 5mm widths. Arrange on trays and shape so they are oval.
- 6Bake for 8-10 minutes until they begin to crack. Allow to cool on trays.
- 7To make icing, place egg-white in a bowl and whisk until frothy. Add icing sugar gradually, blending until smooth. Stir in colouring. Spread over cooled biscuits. Allow to become firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019
- Gluten-free buckwheat waffles with golden syrupFeb 10, 2019
- How to cook burghulFeb 10, 2019
- Vegetable lasagneFeb 10, 2019