- 1 1/2 cup (300g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
- 60 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cup (320g) icing sugar mixture
- 1Ppreheat oven to 160°C. Grease a deep 23cm-square cake pan and line base with baking paper.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large bowl of electric mixer, add remaining ingredients. Beat mixture on low speed until ingredients are combined, then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Using metal spatula, spread mixture into prepared pan.
- 3Bake cake for about 90 minutes. Cover cake loosely with foil about halfway through baking time if cake is overbrowning. Stand cake 10 minutes, turn onto wire rack, turn top-side up to cool.
- 4To make lemon frosting, use a wooden spoon to beat butter and rind together in small bowl. Gradually beat in juice and icing sugar.
- 5Spread cold cake with lemon frosting.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019