Dark chocolate fudge cake
- 50 gram butter, chopped
- 100 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) sour cream
White chocolate cheesecake
- 1/4 cup (60 millilitres) thickened cream
- 125 gram white chocolate, chopped
- 250 gram cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 1 1/2 cup (375 millilitres) water
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso coffee granules
Milk chocolate mousse
- 150 gram milk chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 millilitres) thickened cream
Dark chocolate glaze
- 200 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 100 gram dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dutch-processed cocoa
Five-layer chocolate espresso cake
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Unlock the base from a deep 22cm springform pan; invert base, then cover with a piece of baking paper. Lock the ring around the base, over the paper (the paper will extend outside the pan making it easier to remove the cake later). Grease pan; line side with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm above the side.
- 2To make dark chocolate fudge cake: in a small saucepan, stir butter and chocolate over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, then egg, flour and sour cream. Spread mixture into pan; stand until required.
- 3To make white chocolate cheesecake: in a small saucepan, stir cream and chocolate over low heat until smooth; cool. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture, then egg (do not overbeat). Pour cheesecake mixture over fudge cake in pan. Bake 30 minutes or until centre of cheesecake is set and has a slight wobble. Cool in oven with door ajar. Refrigerate.
- 4To make espresso jelly: in a small heatproof jug, sprinkle gelatine over 1/4 cup (60ml) of the water. In a small saucepan, stand jug of simmering water, stir until gelatine dissolves; cool. In a small saucepan, place the remaining water with sugar and coffee granules; stir over low heat until sugar and coffee dissolve. Stir in gelatine mixture. Transfer mixture to a medium jug. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly to the consistency of custard. Pour jelly mixture over cheesecake in pan; carefully smooth surface. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- 5To make milk chocolate mousse: in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl), stir chocolate until smooth; cool. In a small bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold in cooled chocolate. Spread mousse mixture over jelly in pan; smooth surface. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight until set.
- 6To make dark chocolate glaze: in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl), stir chocolate and oil until smooth. Cool slightly.
- 7To make chocolate waves: in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl), melt half the chocolate. Remove bowl from pan; stir in remaining chocolate until melted. Spread chocolate thinly over a piece of baking paper. Place a rolling pin under paper; set at room temperature. Break into shards.
- 8Remove cake from pan; place on a plate. Working quickly, spread glaze over top and side of cake. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until glaze is set. Decorate cake with chocolate waves; dust with cocoa.
You will need to start this recipe the day before. The cake can be made a couple of days ahead, or if you prefer you can make it in stages over 2 days. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021