Custard fruit tarts
- 1 3/4 cup (260g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 185 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon iced water, approximately
- 1 medium kiwifruit (85g)
- 60 gram fresh raspberries, halved
- 60 gram fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) thickened (heavy) cream, whipped
Custard fruit tarts
- 1Process flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. With motor operating, add egg yolk and enough of the iced water to make ingredients come together. Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead gently until smooth. Wrap pastry in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Grease two 12-hole (1-tablespoon/20ml) mini muffin pans. Roll out half the pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut out 12 x 6cm rounds; press rounds into holes of one pan. Prick bases of cases well with a fork. Repeat with remaining pastry. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 4Bake about 10 minutes. Stand cases in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make custard cream; bring milk and extract to the boil in a small saucepan. Beat egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick. With motor operating, gradually beat in hot milk mixture. Return custard to same pan; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour. Fold cream into custard.
- 6Cut kiwifruit crossways into eight slices; cut 3cm rounds from slices. Spoon custard cream into cases; top with fruit.
Pastry cases and custard can be made, and stored separately, 2 days ahead; fold cream into custard just before using. Assemble and serve tarts as close to serving time as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020