- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 75 grams butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) mashed overripe bananas
- 250 grams cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan. Grease a 10cm x 19.5cm (base measurement), 13cm x 23cm (top measurement) loaf pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 2Sift flours, cinnamon and soda into a large bowl. Combine ¾ cup (165g) of the sugar, the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and banana in a medium bowl. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients; stir until just combined – don't over-mix. Spoon half the mixture into pan.
- 3Beat cream cheese, rind, juice and remaining sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Spoon cheese mixture over banana bread mixture in pan, leaving a 1cm border. Top with remaining banana bread mixture.
- 4Bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until bread comes away from pan slightly and a skewer inserted into the side comes out clean. Cover with foil during cooking if overbrowning. Cool in pan.
Banana bread is best eaten on the day it is made. Store leftovers in the fridge, bring to room temperature before serving.
Transfer loaf to a cutting board; cut into slices. Return slices in position to loaf pan. Transport banana bread in the pan, completely wrapped in plastic wrap.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019