- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 75 grams butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) mashed overripe bananas
- 250 grams cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan. Grease a 10cm x 19.5cm (base measurement), 13cm x 23cm (top measurement) loaf pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 2Sift flours, cinnamon and soda into a large bowl. Combine ¾ cup (165g) of the sugar, the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and banana in a medium bowl. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients; stir until just combined – don't over-mix. Spoon half the mixture into pan.
- 3Beat cream cheese, rind, juice and remaining sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Spoon cheese mixture over banana bread mixture in pan, leaving a 1cm border. Top with remaining banana bread mixture.
- 4Bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until bread comes away from pan slightly and a skewer inserted into the side comes out clean. Cover with foil during cooking if overbrowning. Cool in pan.
Banana bread is best eaten on the day it is made. Store leftovers in the fridge, bring to room temperature before serving.
Transfer loaf to a cutting board; cut into slices. Return slices in position to loaf pan. Transport banana bread in the pan, completely wrapped in plastic wrap.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 indulgent dark chocolate recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Embrace eggplant with these tasty recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Chopped tomato salad with sesame saltFeb 16, 2020
- 14 tantalising tiramisu recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Flourless chocolate, prune & hazelnut cakeFeb 16, 2020
- Dark chocolate mud cakeFeb 16, 2020
- Sesame chicken katsu saladFeb 13, 2020
- How to: BarbecueFeb 13, 2020
- Apricot and tahini bliss ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Choc-nut brownie ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Vegetable gado gado with peanut sauceFeb 13, 2020
- Loaded potato saladFeb 13, 2020
- Shepherdless pieFeb 13, 2020