- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 75 grams butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) mashed overripe bananas
- 250 grams cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan. Grease a 10cm x 19.5cm (base measurement), 13cm x 23cm (top measurement) loaf pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 2Sift flours, cinnamon and soda into a large bowl. Combine ¾ cup (165g) of the sugar, the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and banana in a medium bowl. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients; stir until just combined – don't over-mix. Spoon half the mixture into pan.
- 3Beat cream cheese, rind, juice and remaining sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Spoon cheese mixture over banana bread mixture in pan, leaving a 1cm border. Top with remaining banana bread mixture.
- 4Bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until bread comes away from pan slightly and a skewer inserted into the side comes out clean. Cover with foil during cooking if overbrowning. Cool in pan.
Banana bread is best eaten on the day it is made. Store leftovers in the fridge, bring to room temperature before serving.
Transfer loaf to a cutting board; cut into slices. Return slices in position to loaf pan. Transport banana bread in the pan, completely wrapped in plastic wrap.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Red lentil and pumpkin wrapsToday 1:44am
- 30 quick and easy recipesYesterday 11:46pm
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019