- 3/4 cup (120g) blanched almonds
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts
- 50 gram dark chocolate (63 per cent cocoa), chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 50 gram butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Chocolate baklava rolls
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 2To make filling, spread the nuts on the prepared tray; bake for 6-8 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool completely. Process the nuts, chocolate, sugar and cinnamon, using the pulse button, until finely chopped.
- 3Lay the sheets of filo flat on a bench, cover with a clean tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will help stop it from drying out). Layer 3 filo sheets, brushing between each with melted butter. Spread half the filling evenly over the layered pastry, leaving a 3cm border along both long sides. Starting at a long side, roll up filo to form a log. Cut logs in half. Place on the prepared oven tray and brush well with butter. Repeat with remaining filo, butter and filling.
- 4Bake for about 18 minutes or until browned lightly and pastry is crisp.
- 5To make honey syrup, combine the sugar, water and honey in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in lemon juice.
- 6Stand rolls on tray for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Cut each log into 4 and place in a shallow heatproof dish just large enough to hold the pastries. Pour hot honey syrup over rolls.
Set aside for 4 hours or overnight for the syrup to be absorbed. Serve with any remaining syrup drizzled over. Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021