- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 large red capsicum (700g)
- 2 medium eggplant (600g), cut into 5mm slices
- 3 medium zucchini (360g), cut into 5mm slices
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 1Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, allspice and chilli; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add undrained tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- 2Preheat grill. Quarter capsicums; discard seeds and membranes. Roast under grill, skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum pieces with plastic or paper for 5 minutes; peel away skin then cut capsicum into 3cm pieces.
- 3Preheat grill. Quarter capsicums; discard seeds and membranes. Roast under grill, skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum pieces with plastic or paper for 5 minutes; peel away skin then cut capsicum into 3cm pieces.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- 5Stir chickpeas, herbs and sugar into tomato sauce. Place half the combined capsicum, eggplant and zucchini in a shallow 10-cup (2.5-litre) ovenproof dish; pour half the chickpea sauce over vegetables. Repeat layering; sprinkle with cheese. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until browned lightly.
While large self-serve dishes are all the thing at the moment, you can cook and serve this in individual ramekins if you prefer. You will need for this recipe a shallow 10-cup (2.5-litre) ovenproof dish. You could also use six 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes instead of a 10-cup dish in step 5, if preferred.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardYesterday 2:44am
- Cottage pieMay 23, 2022
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeMay 23, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaMay 23, 2022
- Shortbread buttonsMay 23, 2022
- 20 sensational schnitzelsMay 23, 2022
- Winter vegetable bake with tahini-seed crumbleMay 23, 2022
- Italian chicken schnitzelMay 23, 2022