- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 large red capsicum (700g)
- 2 medium eggplant (600g), cut into 5mm slices
- 3 medium zucchini (360g), cut into 5mm slices
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 1Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, allspice and chilli; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add undrained tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- 2Preheat grill. Quarter capsicums; discard seeds and membranes. Roast under grill, skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum pieces with plastic or paper for 5 minutes; peel away skin then cut capsicum into 3cm pieces.
- 3Preheat grill. Quarter capsicums; discard seeds and membranes. Roast under grill, skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum pieces with plastic or paper for 5 minutes; peel away skin then cut capsicum into 3cm pieces.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- 5Stir chickpeas, herbs and sugar into tomato sauce. Place half the combined capsicum, eggplant and zucchini in a shallow 10-cup (2.5-litre) ovenproof dish; pour half the chickpea sauce over vegetables. Repeat layering; sprinkle with cheese. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until browned lightly.
While large self-serve dishes are all the thing at the moment, you can cook and serve this in individual ramekins if you prefer. You will need for this recipe a shallow 10-cup (2.5-litre) ovenproof dish. You could also use six 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes instead of a 10-cup dish in step 5, if preferred.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sour cream cakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Japanese chicken schnitzel toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Reuben jaffleYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom and goat’s cheese omeletteYesterday 2:00pm
- Enchilada bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 20 best tea cakes for your favourite cuppaYesterday 2:00pm
- Mulled wine pork with red cabbageYesterday 2:00pm
- 10 easy toastie recipes the whole family will enjoyYesterday 3:00am
- Easy combination fried riceJun 21, 2021
- Chocolate chip cookiesJun 21, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021