- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (80g), sliced thinly
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) water
- 410 gram (13 ounces) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (220g) risoni pasta
- 3 cup (480g) shredded barbecued chicken
- 1/2 cup (75g) semi-dried tomatoes without oil
- 3/4 cup (180ml) pouring cream
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/375°F. Oil a 3-litre (12-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat;cook onion and garlic, stirring, 4 minutes or until onion softens. Add wine; bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the water, crushed tomatoes and pasta; bring to the boil.
- 3Place chicken and semi-dried tomatoes in dish. Pour pasta mixture over chicken. Bake 15 minutes.
- 4Increase oven to 200°C/400°F. Stir cream, peas and spinach into pasta mixture; season to taste. Top with combined cheddar and parsley. Bake a further 20 minutes or until browned. Stand 10 minutes before serving.
This bake is quite liquid when it first comes out of the oven; it will thicken a little on standing. You need to buy a large barbecued chicken weighing about 900g (1¾ pounds) for the amount of chicken required for this recipe. This recipe can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover, then refrigerate until required.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021