- 9 kilogram (20-pound) leg of ham
- 350 gram (11-ounce) jar blood orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- cloves, to decorate
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Cut through ham rind 10cm (4 inches) from the shank end of the leg. To remove the rind, run your thumb around the edge of the rind just under the skin. Start pulling the rind from the widest edge of the ham; continue to pull the rind carefully away from the fat up to the shank end. Remove rind completely.
- 3Score across the fat at about 3cm (1¼-inch) intervals, cutting through the surface of the fat (not the meat) in a diamond pattern. Don't cut too deeply or the fat will spread apart during cooking.
- 4To make blood-orange glaze, combine marmalade, sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan; stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 5Line a large roasting pan with baking paper (this will make cleaning the pan easier). Place the ham on a wire rack in pan. Brush ham well with the glaze; cover the shank end with foil.
- 6Bake ham for 40 minutes; remove from oven, decorate the ham with cloves. Return to oven; bake for a further 40 minutes or until browned all over, brushing occasionally with the glaze.
- 7Serve ham warm or at room temperature.
You can score the ham the day before cooking; cover the ham with the rind to keep moist until cooking (discard the rind before cooking the ham). Store the cooked ham in a clean dry ham bag or pillow case, or covered with a clean tea towel. Replace the ham bag every couple of days with a clean dry one. Leftover carved ham is suitable to freeze for up to 1 month (the ham will become saltier if frozen for longer).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019