- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large (300g) brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 500 gram beef mince
- 1 medium (200g) potato, finely chopped
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (60ml) worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (80g) frozen corn kernels
- 6 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Cook the onion and garlic until softened. Add the beef and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until browned.
- 3Stir in the potato and carrot, then the tomato paste; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the mustard, worcestershire sauce, sugar and vinegar, and stir to combine.
- 4Add stock and water and bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for around 10 minutes, or until the potato has started to soften and the beef mixture has thickened.
- 5Stir in peas and corn. Set aside to cool.
- 6Cut four 12cm circles from each sheet of pastry. Place large spoonfuls of the cooled beef mixture in the centre of each circle. Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Draw the two sides up into the middle and pinch together. Crimp the edges all the way around.
- 7Brush the pasties with egg and place on prepared trays. Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cooked and uncooked pasties suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019