- 1 1/2 cup (200g) unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cup (200g) walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch ground cloves
- 375 gram filo pastry
- 310 gram butter, melted
- 30 whole cloves
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (90g) honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan.
- 2Process nuts, sugar, semolina, cinnamon and ground cloves until chopped finely; transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3Brush 1 sheet of pastry with a little of the butter; top with 7 more sheets, brushing each well with butter. Fold pastry in half, place into pan. Sprinkle pastry with thin even layer of the nut mixture. Layer another 2 sheets of pastry, brushing each well with more butter. Fold pastry in half, place in pan; top with another layer of nut mixture. Repeat layering process until all nut mixture has been used.
- 4Repeat layering and buttering with any remaining pastry sheets; brush the final layer with butter. Score the top lightly in a diamond pattern; press one whole clove in the centre of each piece.
- 5Bake baklava about 50 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, make syrup: stir ingredients in a small saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Discard cinnamon; cool syrup.
- 7Pour syrup over hot baklava. Cool before cutting.
Baklava will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019