Many Middle Eastern countries consider baklava their own traditional dessert. We're not sure where it was originally invented. We're just glad to experience the sweet flaky goodness.
- 1 1/2 cup (200g) unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cup (200g) walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch ground cloves
- 375 gram filo pastry
- 310 gram butter, melted
- 30 whole cloves
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (90g) honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan.
- 2Process nuts, sugar, semolina, cinnamon and ground cloves until chopped finely; transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3Brush 1 sheet of pastry with a little of the butter; top with 7 more sheets, brushing each well with butter. Fold pastry in half, place into pan. Sprinkle pastry with thin even layer of the nut mixture. Layer another 2 sheets of pastry, brushing each well with more butter. Fold pastry in half, place in pan; top with another layer of nut mixture. Repeat layering process until all nut mixture has been used.
- 4Repeat layering and buttering with any remaining pastry sheets; brush the final layer with butter. Score the top lightly in a diamond pattern; press one whole clove in the centre of each piece.
- 5Bake baklava about 50 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, make syrup: stir ingredients in a small saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Discard cinnamon; cool syrup.
- 7Pour syrup over hot baklava. Cool before cutting.
Baklava will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021