- 1 1/2 cup (200g) unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cup (200g) walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch ground cloves
- 375 gram filo pastry
- 310 gram butter, melted
- 30 whole cloves
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (90g) honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan.
- 2Process nuts, sugar, semolina, cinnamon and ground cloves until chopped finely; transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3Brush 1 sheet of pastry with a little of the butter; top with 7 more sheets, brushing each well with butter. Fold pastry in half, place into pan. Sprinkle pastry with thin even layer of the nut mixture. Layer another 2 sheets of pastry, brushing each well with more butter. Fold pastry in half, place in pan; top with another layer of nut mixture. Repeat layering process until all nut mixture has been used.
- 4Repeat layering and buttering with any remaining pastry sheets; brush the final layer with butter. Score the top lightly in a diamond pattern; press one whole clove in the centre of each piece.
- 5Bake baklava about 50 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, make syrup: stir ingredients in a small saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Discard cinnamon; cool syrup.
- 7Pour syrup over hot baklava. Cool before cutting.
Baklava will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- DukkahJan 13, 2022
- Triple chocolate browniesJan 13, 2022
- 16 perfect panna cotta recipesJan 13, 2022
- Bourbon butter 1kg peach pieJan 13, 2022
- AïoliJan 13, 2022