This classic rice pudding is the perfect remedy for those chilly winter evenings. The addition of nutmeg, vanilla and sultanas takes it from a stodgy childhood memory to a contemporary culinary delight.
- 2 tablespoon short-grain rice
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1In a saucepan, bring water and salt to the boil. Gradually add rice. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- 2In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together, add rice and sultanas. Add milk gradually and stir to combine.
- 3Pour into an ovenproof dish. Stand in baking dish with enough water to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake at 180°C for 35 minutes.
- 4Slip a long fork under the skin that has formed on top and stir gently to distribute rice evenly. Reduce heat to 160°C and bake a further 15 minutes, then stir with fork again. Cook further 15 to 20 minutes, or until set.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Perfect potato saladToday 12:26am
- Banoffee pieYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingYesterday 12:13am
- White ChristmasNov 13, 2019
- How to make an easy gingerbread houseNov 13, 2019
- How to make basic sconesNov 13, 2019
- Caesar saladNov 13, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladNov 13, 2019
- Meatloaf recipe - classicNov 13, 2019
- Lemon meringue pieNov 13, 2019
- How to make a towering pavlova Christmas treeNov 13, 2019
- Curried sausagesNov 13, 2019
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesNov 12, 2019