This classic rice pudding is the perfect remedy for those chilly winter evenings. The addition of nutmeg, vanilla and sultanas takes it from a stodgy childhood memory to a contemporary culinary delight.
- 2 tablespoon short-grain rice
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1In a saucepan, bring water and salt to the boil. Gradually add rice. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- 2In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together, add rice and sultanas. Add milk gradually and stir to combine.
- 3Pour into an ovenproof dish. Stand in baking dish with enough water to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake at 180°C for 35 minutes.
- 4Slip a long fork under the skin that has formed on top and stir gently to distribute rice evenly. Reduce heat to 160°C and bake a further 15 minutes, then stir with fork again. Cook further 15 to 20 minutes, or until set.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Brilliant brownie recipesYesterday 1:29am
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 12:58am
- Portuguese chickens with fig saladFeb 20, 2020
- Healthy banana breadFeb 20, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieFeb 20, 2020
- Caramel sliceFeb 19, 2020
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsFeb 19, 2020
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawFeb 19, 2020
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingFeb 19, 2020
- Fish and chipsFeb 19, 2020
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniFeb 19, 2020
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Feb 19, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansFeb 19, 2020