This classic rice pudding is the perfect remedy for those chilly winter evenings. The addition of nutmeg, vanilla and sultanas takes it from a stodgy childhood memory to a contemporary culinary delight.
- 2 tablespoon short-grain rice
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1In a saucepan, bring water and salt to the boil. Gradually add rice. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- 2In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together, add rice and sultanas. Add milk gradually and stir to combine.
- 3Pour into an ovenproof dish. Stand in baking dish with enough water to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake at 180°C for 35 minutes.
- 4Slip a long fork under the skin that has formed on top and stir gently to distribute rice evenly. Reduce heat to 160°C and bake a further 15 minutes, then stir with fork again. Cook further 15 to 20 minutes, or until set.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019