- 8 medium red apples (1.2kg)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 3 cup (375g) cherries, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) almonds
- 1 cup (160g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (120g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup, extra
- 1 1/2 cup (420g) unsweetened vanilla-bean yoghurt, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 2Peel and core apples; cut into 2cm (¾-inch) pieces. Place apple and the water in a large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until apples are just tender.
- 3Place apple and cooking liquid in a large bowl; stir in cherries, cinnamon, extract and maple syrup until combined. Spoon into a 2 litre (8-cup) shallow ovenproof dish.
- 4Process nuts, flour and rosemary until nuts are chopped coarsely. With motor operating, add coconut oil and extra maple syrup until well combined. Spoon crumble mixture over fruit (piling crumble high on top of fruit as it will sink down curing cooking).
- 5Bake for 40 minutes or until crumble topping is golden and fruit is soft. Serve with yoghurt.
Coconut oil is a solidified oil sold in jars and is available from major supermarkets and health food stores. Melt coconut oil as you would butter, either in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. Cherries are rich in vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants. While fresh is best, if they are out of season, you can use frozen pitted cherries in this recipe instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019