Almond carrot cake
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cup (480g) firmly packed, coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon roasted slivered almonds
Cream cheese frosting
- 100 gram (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Almond carrot cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease deep 20cm (8-inch) square cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Beat egg yolks, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in carrot, ground almonds and sifted flour.
- 3Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into carrot mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 1¼ hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in icing sugar and juice.
- 6Spread cold cake with frosting; sprinkle with slivered almonds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022