Almond carrot cake
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cup (480g) firmly packed, coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon roasted slivered almonds
Cream cheese frosting
- 100 gram (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Almond carrot cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease deep 20cm (8-inch) square cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Beat egg yolks, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in carrot, ground almonds and sifted flour.
- 3Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into carrot mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 1¼ hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in icing sugar and juice.
- 6Spread cold cake with frosting; sprinkle with slivered almonds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlYesterday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsYesterday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesJul 05, 2020
- Silverside frittersJul 05, 2020
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyJul 05, 2020
- Perfect pumpkin recipesJul 05, 2020
- Pumpkin pieJul 05, 2020
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020