- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried oregano or fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cup (210g) stale breadcrumbs
- 4 large or 8 small (800g) veal schnitzels
- vegetable oil, to shallow fry
- 1 cup (80g) freshly grated parmesan
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened. Add tomato, sugar and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt.
- 2Meanwhile, season flour and place on a plate. Combine egg and water in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs on a separate plate. Toss veal in flour and shake away excess, then dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- 3Shallow-fry veal, in batches, in hot oil until browned on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Preheat the grill to high. Place veal on an oven tray and top each piece with a 2 generous spoonfuls of tomato sauce. Top with parmesan and grill until lightly browned.
- 5Sprinkle veal with chopped parsley and serve with buttered pasta spirals, if desired.
Tomato sauce suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 indulgent dark chocolate recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Embrace eggplant with these tasty recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Chopped tomato salad with sesame saltFeb 16, 2020
- 14 tantalising tiramisu recipesFeb 16, 2020
- Flourless chocolate, prune & hazelnut cakeFeb 16, 2020
- Dark chocolate mud cakeFeb 16, 2020
- Sesame chicken katsu saladFeb 13, 2020
- How to: BarbecueFeb 13, 2020
- Apricot and tahini bliss ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Choc-nut brownie ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Vegetable gado gado with peanut sauceFeb 13, 2020
- Loaded potato saladFeb 13, 2020
- Shepherdless pieFeb 13, 2020