Tamarind and lemon grass lamb ribs
- 1/2 cup (150g) firmly packed tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 kilogram lamb ribs
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 180 gram dark palm sugar, grated
- 1/2 cup (125ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 30 gram piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 6 clove garlic, unpeeled, bruised
- 3 fresh stalks lemon grass, trimmed, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh vietnamese mint leaves
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 2 limes (180g), quartered
Tamarindand lemon grass lambribs
- 1Place tamarind pulp and the boiling water in a bowl; soak 15 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve; discard solids.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F.
- 3Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook ribs, in two batches, 3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a large deep roasting pan.
- 4Add tamarind liquid, stock, sugar, sauces, ginger, garlic and lemon grass to pan, cover with foil; roast for 2 hours. Remove foil; roast a further 1 hour or until meat is very tender and sauce is reduced.
- 5Transfer ribs to a large bowl and cooking liquid to a medium bowl. Cover bowls with plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or until fat has solidified.
- 6Scoop off solidified fat from cooking liquid; discard. Place 2 cups of the cooking liquid in a deep frying pan (discard remaining liquid) over high heat. Add ribs; cook 10 minutes, turning occasionally or until sauce boils and reduces, and ribs have warmed through. Top with mint and chilli; serve with lime.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020