- 1 large avocado (320g), chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 4 x180g thick white fish fillets, skin on (see tips)
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 1 cup (200g) black and white barley (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 baby cucumbers (qukes) (105g), chopped coarsely
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 cup (120g) pitted sicilian olives
- 250 g heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1Make barley salad.
- 2Meanwhile, blend or process avocado, juice, half the oil, garlic, tahini, cumin and half the sumac until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl; season to taste. Cover tightly.
- 3Season fish; drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with remaining sumac. Cook fish, skin-side down first, on a heated oiled barbecue (or flat plate or grill) over medium heat for 3 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- 4Serve fish with salad, topped with avocado cream and lemon wedges on the side.
- 5Place the water and barley in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool. Combine vinegar and oil in a large bowl. Just before serving, add barley to bowl along with the remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Season to taste.
We used barramundi in this recipe but any thick or firm white fish fillet will be fine. You can use pearl barley for this recipe, if you like. Barley can be cooked several hours ahead. The avocado cream can also be made several hours in advance. Store separately in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Coconut riceNov 29, 2021