- 1 1/3 cup (200g) coarsely chopped dried dates
- 1 1/4 cup (430ml) water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 80 gram butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (70g) roasted pecans, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup (280g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 80 gram butter
- 300 millilitre cream
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in small saucepan; bring to the boil. Remove from heat, add soda; cover, stand 5 minutes. Blend or process until smooth.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time (mixture will curdle at this stage). Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted flour and cocoa, then stir in nuts and warm date mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes; turn onto serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile to make butterscotch sauce; stir ingredients in saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, without stirring, 3 minutes. Serve hot sauce with cake and whipped cream, if desired.