- 170 grams (asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
- 1 cup (120g) frozen broad beans, peeled
- ½ cup (60g) frozen peas
- 8 x 1cm slices sourdough bread (280g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (see tips)
- 90 grams drained marinated fetta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons small fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind strips (see tips)
- 60 grams rocket (arugula) leaves
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup (70g) slivered almonds, roasted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- ⅓ cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1Cook asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Add beans and peas; simmer for 2 minutes. Drain; refresh in a bowl of iced water. Drain well.
- 2Make rocket and almond pesto. Process rocket, basil, almonds, garlic, rind, parmesan and 1 tablespoon of the oil until coarsely chopped. With motor operating, add remaining oil in a thin, steady stream until mixture is smooth; season.
- 3Place bread on a heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) for 1 minute each side or until lightly charred. Spread ⅓ cup pesto over toasted bread slices.
- 4Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat; cook garlic for 1 minute. Add asparagus, beans and peas; cook for 1 minute or until hot. Stir in juice just before serving; season to taste.
- 5Spoon vegetable mixture onto toasted bread; top with fetta, mint and rind.
It will be easier to remove the rind from the lemon before you squeeze the juice. To create the thin strips of lemon rind, use a zester if you have one. If you don't have one, peel two long, wide pieces of rind from the lemon, without the white pith, then cut them lengthways into thin strips. For a large crowd, use small slices of baguette and serve as canapés. This recipe makes 1 cup of rocket and almond pesto; leftover pesto can be served on grilled fish or chicken or tossed through hot pasta. Pesto can also be frozen, in small tightly-sealed containers, for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeYesterday 6:02am
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Leek and mushroom lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Lasagne recipe collectionJun 26, 2022
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelJun 26, 2022