- 12 large silverbeet leaves, white centre vein and stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely grated
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 500 gram pork mince
- 700 gram bottle passata sauce
- sour cream, to serve
- extra dill sprigs, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- 2Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook silverbeet 30 seconds, or until wilted. Using tongs, transfer silverbeet to a large bowl of iced water; stand 30 seconds, or until cooled. Drain. Pat silverbeet dry with paper towels.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until soft. Add carrot. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, paprika and caraway seeds; cook, stirring, 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer half the onion mixture to a large bowl. Stir in rice, dill and mince.
- 4Meanwhile, place remaining onion mixture over moderate heat. Add passata and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to moderately low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- 5For each roll, place a silverbeet leaf on a clean work surface. Place 1/3-cup filling at base of leaf; fold in edges. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Repeat to make 12 rolls.
- 6Spoon 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce over base of a 3-litre (12-cup) ovenproof dish. Arrange silverbeet rolls, seam side down, over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over rolls, to cover. Cover tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until bubbling and cooked. Serve with sour cream and extra dill.
You can prepare silverbeet leaves up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature 10 minutes before filling. You'll need 3/4 cup long-grain white rice to make 2 cups cooked. For a vegetarian option, omit mince and replace with 2 x 400g cans rinsed brown lentils.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022