Seeded pumpkin bread
- 900 gram butternut pumpkin, halved lengthways, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoon (7g) dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) wholemeal plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 cup (300g) bread flour or plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon linseeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
Seeded pumpkin bread
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place pumpkin on an oven tray, cover with foil; bake for 1¼ hours or until very tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into a medium bowl; mash with a fork. You will need 1½ cups mashed pumpkin.
- 3Combine yeast, honey and the water in a small bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy. Stir in oil.
- 4Combine flours, seeds and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and mashed pumpkin; mix to a soft dough. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (If you have an electric mixer with a dough hook, mix on medium speed for 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic.) Place dough in a large oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 5Increase oven to 220°C. Punch down the dough with your fist. Knead on a floured surface 1 minute or until smooth. Shape dough into a 20cm round; place on a large oiled oven tray. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 40 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- 6Brush dough with egg, sprinkle with pepitas and poppy seeds. Using a sharp, thin-bladed knife, make five shallow cuts across the top of the dough. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C; bake a further 10 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frostingYesterday 11:22pm
- Lamb kofta with cucumber yoghurtYesterday 11:00pm
- Creamy salmon gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 of our best gnocchi recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy hot cross bunsApr 01, 2020
- Gluten-free banana breadApr 01, 2020
- Fluffy buttermilk pancakesApr 01, 2020
- Chicken, pumpkin and apricot tagineApr 01, 2020
- Salted honeycombApr 01, 2020
- Tuna mornayApr 01, 2020
- Flourless cakesMar 31, 2020
- White sauceMar 31, 2020
- Dinner date recipes to impressMar 31, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 31, 2020
- Princess-themed birthday cakesMar 31, 2020
- 100 years of Australian dinnersMar 31, 2020