Rogan josh lamb pie
- 1 kilogram diced lamb shoulder
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (135g) rogan josh curry paste
- 410 gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 (sheet) puff pastry
- 2 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 fresh long green chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup (140g) thick yoghurt
Rogan josh lamb pie with coriander chutney
- 1Toss lamb in flour; shake away excess. Heat oil in large saucepan; cook lamb, in batches, until well browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Add onion to same pan; cook, stirring, until softened. Add paste to pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Return lamb to pan with undrained tomatoes and stock; bring to the boil.
- 3Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1½ hours. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until tender. Season to taste; cool.
- 4Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- 5Spoon curry into 24cm (9½-inch) pie dish (1.5-litre/6-cup). Score pastry in criss-cross pattern. Place pastry over filling; trim edge.
- 6Brush pastry with milk, sprinkle with seeds. Place on oven tray; bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until browned.
- 7Meanwhile, make coriander chutney. Blend cumin seeds, sugar, cumin, chilli, corriander, mint and yoghurt until smooth. Season to taste.
- 8Serve pie with chutney.
Ask the butcher for lamb shoulder, as what is sold as diced lamb is sometimes from the leg and will not be as tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021