- 1.5 kg butternut pumpkin, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 125 grams swiss cheese, sliced
- ½ cup (125ml) thickened cream
- pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 11 Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Place pumpkin on tray, drizzle with oil; season. Toss well to coat. Bake for 20 minutes. Add onion, garlic and herbs; toss to combine. Bake for a further 25 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender.
- 3Layer pumpkin and cheese in a shallow 1.5-litre (6-cup)
ovenproof dish or roasting pan. Combine cream and nutmeg, pour over pumpkin; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 4Bake gratin for 30 minutes or until golden and heated through. Serve topped with thyme sprigs. Season.
Recipe can be completed to the end of step 2, up to 2 days ahead. Refrigerate until ready to continue. Store leftover gratin in an airtight container in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022