Poppy seed pretzels
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water, approximately
- 190 gram butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 3 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
Poppy seed pretzels
- 1Sift flour into large bowl. Add juice and enough of the water to form a sticky dough. Knead gently on floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- 2Place dough on floured surface, cut a 2cm (¾ inch) deep cross into surface of dough. Pull corners of dough out to form a four-leaf clover shape, about 36cm (14 inch) square.
- 3Shape butter into 12cm (5 inch) square block, place on centre of dough; fold flaps of pastry over each other to encase butter. Roll dough into 20cm x 40cm (8 inch x 16 inch) rectangle; fold over bottom third of dough, fold top third over bottom third. Cover; refrigerate 10 minutes.
- 4Repeat rolling, folding and resting of dough three times, half turning the dough before rolling.
- 5Roll dough into 20cm x 40cm (8 inch x 16 inch) rectangle, fold both ends over to meet in the centre, then fold in half. Cover; refrigerate 10 minutes. Repeat process.
- 6Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Oil oven trays.
- 7Roll dough on floured surface until 5mm (¼ inch) thick; brush with a little of the egg, sprinkle with half the poppy seeds, then paprika, pepper and cheese. Cut dough into 60 x 1cm (½ inch) strips about 15cm (6 inches) long. Gently twist strips and loop into pretzel shapes. Brush uncut surfaces with more egg, sprinkle with remaining poppy seeds and salt. Place pretzels about 4cm (1½ inches) apart on oven trays.
- 8Bake pretzels about 10 minutes or until puffed and browned lightly.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsToday 12:54am
- Easter bunny cakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019