- 750 grams beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra thyme leaves, to serve
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) water
- 1Place beetroot, garlic, thyme, rosemary, mustard seeds and fennel seeds in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 4 hours.
- 2Just before the beetroot is ready, place the sugar, vinegar and the water in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- 3Discard the thyme and rosemary. Spoon the beetroot into hot sterilised jars (see above, right). Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover beetroot; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme.
- The easiest way to sterilise jars and lids is to put them through the hottest cycle of a dishwasher without using detergent. Remove them from the dishwasher with a clean, dry towel while they're still hot and stand to dry.
- Serve with hot or cold roast beef, in salads and sliced on sandwiches.
- Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistYesterday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeYesterday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019