- 750 grams beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra thyme leaves, to serve
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) water
- 1Place beetroot, garlic, thyme, rosemary, mustard seeds and fennel seeds in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 4 hours.
- 2Just before the beetroot is ready, place the sugar, vinegar and the water in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- 3Discard the thyme and rosemary. Spoon the beetroot into hot sterilised jars (see above, right). Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover beetroot; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme.
- The easiest way to sterilise jars and lids is to put them through the hottest cycle of a dishwasher without using detergent. Remove them from the dishwasher with a clean, dry towel while they're still hot and stand to dry.
- Serve with hot or cold roast beef, in salads and sliced on sandwiches.
- Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022