- 750 grams beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra thyme leaves, to serve
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) water
- 1Place beetroot, garlic, thyme, rosemary, mustard seeds and fennel seeds in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 4 hours.
- 2Just before the beetroot is ready, place the sugar, vinegar and the water in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- 3Discard the thyme and rosemary. Spoon the beetroot into hot sterilised jars (see above, right). Pour enough hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover beetroot; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve sprinkled with extra thyme.
- The easiest way to sterilise jars and lids is to put them through the hottest cycle of a dishwasher without using detergent. Remove them from the dishwasher with a clean, dry towel while they're still hot and stand to dry.
- Serve with hot or cold roast beef, in salads and sliced on sandwiches.
- Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 25 pasta recipesToday 2:08am
- Slow-cooker butter chickenYesterday 5:00pm
- Chocolate crackle sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Butter chicken puff pastry hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy recipes to bake with your little onesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemonade sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Caprese saladJul 01, 2022
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertJul 01, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022