- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 kilogram black mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 stalk (300g) celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 30 gram butter
- 400 gram baby (dutch) carrots, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (150g) pearl couscous, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 cups (750ml) fish stock
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- chargrilled sourdough, to serve
- 1Bring wine to the boil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mussels; cook, covered, for 8 minutes or until mussels open. Drain mussels in a colander over a large heatproof bowl; reserve cooking liquid. Cover mussels loosely with foil; set aside until required.
- 2Heat oil in same pan over medium heat; cook onion, celery and carrot, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add tomato paste, pearl couscous and chilli; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock and reserved cooking liquid; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until couscous is tender.
- 3Return mussels to pan; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until warmed through.
Pearl couscous is from Israel (it is also called Israeli couscous) and is made by forming semolina flour into balls. It has a mild flavour and pleasant chewy texture. Some mussels might not open after cooking – these may not have cooked as quickly as the others – and some will not open even after excessive cooking. Do not discard these; just pry open carefully with a knife and cook a little more.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 14 banana bread recipesToday 6:48am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 9:21pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Delicious stir-friesYesterday 1:00pm
- Macaroni cheeseYesterday 1:00pm
- Chilli chicken stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast loin of porkYesterday 1:00pm
- 12 sensational san choy bow recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken schnitzelYesterday 1:00pm