- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 125 gram butter, plus extra to grease tin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease tin and line with baking paper. In bowl mix apples and dates with bicarb soda. Pour boiling water over and leave to cool until lukewarm.
- 2Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Stir flour into mixture alternately with apple and date mixture.
- 3Pour into tin and bake 1 hour or until skewer inserted in middle comes out clean.
- 4To make topping: mix brown sugar, butter, milk and coconut in small saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Spread over cooked cake.
- 5Return cake to oven and bake another 15 minutes until topping is golden brown and crunchy; let cool before slicing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021