- 2 fresh long red chillies (see tips)
- 3 teaspoons black rice (see tips)
- 3 cups (750ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1½ tablespoons tamari
- 1 strip orange rind
- 1 litre (4 cups) rice bran oil
- 2 x300g blocks extra soft silken tofu
- 1 cup (180g) rice flour
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly
- 8 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1Heat a flat grill plate (or barbecue plate) over medium-high heat. Grill chillies for 3½ minutes on each side, covered with an upturned baking dish to keep the smoke in. Cool; slice thinly.
- 2Meanwhile, place rice on grill plate; cook, stirring, for 50 seconds or until rice is cracked. Pound rice in a mortar and pestle until finely ground (or process in a small food processor).
- 3Place stock in a medium saucepan with cinnamon, star anise, tamari and rind; bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Heat oil in a deep medium frying pan over high heat until hot. Drain tofu; pat dry. Cut each block of tofu into six cubes. Toss tofu in flour; shake off excess. Season tofu. Use a slotted spoon to lower tofu into oil; fry, in batches, for 1 minute or until golden. Remove from pan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel.
- 5Divide broth among four bowls; place fried tofu in the centre carefully, as it will be soft. Sprinkle with ground rice; top with chilli, green onion and coriander. Serve immediately.
For a milder broth, remove the seeds and membranes from the chillies, or use 1 chilli only. You can use any rice for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesJul 10, 2020
- Christmas in July recipesJul 10, 2020
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020