Hearty chicken risotto
- 1 kilogram whole chicken
- 2 medium (300g) onions, quartered
- 2 stalks (300g) celery chopped coarsely
- 2 medium (300g) carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 50 gram butter, chopped
- 1 medium (150g) onion, extra, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cup (400g) arborio rice
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions (green shallots), sliced thinly
- rind of 1 lemon
Hearty chicken risotto
- 1Cut the chicken in half (or ask your butcher to do this for you), rinse under cold water and remove the fat. Combine the chicken, onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns and 3 litres of water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- 2Strain stock into a medium saucepan (you will need 1.5 litres of stock). Keep stock hot over a low heat while preparing the risotto.
- 3When cool enough to handle, remove the chicken flesh from the bones; discard bones. Cover the chicken with foil to keep warm.
- 4Heat the butter in the same large saucepan, cook the extra onion over a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add rice and stir to coat in the onion mixture.
- 5Add 1 cup of simmering stock; cook, stirring, over medium heat, until stock is absorbed. Continue adding stock mixture in 1 cup batches, stirring until absorbed between additions. The total cooking time should be about 25 minutes or until the rice is almost tender.
- 6Stir through the parmesan and the shredded chicken. Cover, stand, for 5 minutes. Serve risotto sprinkled with green onions, grated lemon and extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019