Harissa haloumi burgers
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced
- 1 large loaf turkish bread (430g)
- cooking-oil spray
- 2 x 180g packets haloumi cheese, halved horizontally
- 2 teaspoon harissa paste
- 2 medium tomatoes (300g), sliced
- 1 cup (60g) mesclun
- 1/2 cup (150g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Harissa haloumi burgers with mint mayonnaise
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until softened. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, make mint mayonnaise: Whisk ingredients in a small bowl to combine. Season to taste.
- 3Heat a chargrill pan over high heat. Trim ends from bread; cut remaining bread into quarters then halve pieces horizontally. Spray cut sides of bread with cooking oil. Place bread, cut-side down, in pan for 30 seconds until charred and toasted.
- 4Combine haloumi, harissa and remaining oil in a medium bowl. Heat frying pan over high heat; cook haloumi 1 minute each side or until golden.
- 5Spread bread with mayonnaise. Sandwich with tomato, mesclun, haloumi and onion.
You could use sliced chicken breast or minute steak instead of the haloumi if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsToday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotToday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladToday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019