- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium leek (350g), white part only, chopped finely (see tip)
- 1 medium parsnip (250g), cut into 1cm dice
- 2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), sliced thinly
- 150 g curly kale, stems discarded, torn in pieces
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 150 g green beans, trimmed, cut into 1cm lengths
- 2 medium zucchini (240g), halved, sliced thinly
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups basil leaves
- ⅓ cup (25g) grated parmesan
- ¼ cup (40g) pine nuts, toasted
- ½ clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.Cook sage, garlic and leek, stirring, for 3 minutes or until leek is soft. Add parsnip, celery and kale; cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes or until kale is bright green. Add stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 15 minutes or until parsnip is almost tender.
- 2Add green beans, zucchini and cannellini beans; cook for a further 5 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Season.
- 3Meanwhile, make pesto.
- 4Serve soup topped with pesto.
- 5Blend or process ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; season to taste.
Cut the leek in half lengthways and rinse carefully between the layers; they can be quite gritty. Soup can be made a day ahead. Pesto can be made 3 days ahead. Store in separate airtight containers in the fridge; cover pesto with a thin layer of oil. Soup and pesto can be frozen in separate airtight containers for up to 3 months. Serve minestrone with crusty bread, basil leaves and extra grated parmesan, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chinese omelettesYesterday 1:00pm
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Traditional shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon and sugar pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020