- 1/3 cup (85g) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 5 large tomatoes (1.1kg), chopped coarsely
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 4 stems fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 2 cups (240g) frozen broad (fava) beans, blanched, shelled
- 100 grams (3oz) baby spinach leaves
- 50 grams (1½oz) paneer cheese, grated finely
- lime wedges, to serve
- 1 kilogram (2lb) potatoes, unpeeled (see tip)
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 grams (4½oz) paneer cheese, grated finely
- 1/2 cup (75g) potato flour
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1Make Indian-style gnocchi: Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Pierce potatoes all over; roast on an oven tray for 1 hour or until tender. Scoop out potato flesh; discard skins. Mash or rice potato onto a clean work surface. Add remaining ingredients; fold mixture to form a soft dough. Dust work surface with extra flour. Keep dough covered with a clean tea towel. Roll a quarter of the mixture into a 2cm x 50cm (¾in x 20in) long rope; cut into 3cm (1¼in) pieces. Cook gnocchi, in batches, in a large saucepan of simmering water for 1 minute or until gnocchi floats on the surface for 10 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a large oiled tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, while making the masala sauce.
- 2Heat half the ghee in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, chilli and garam masala, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is caramelised. Add tomato and stock; bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining ghee in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Pan-fry half the gnocchi for 1 minute on each side or until golden; transfer to an oven tray. Cover to keep warm. Wipe pan clean; repeat with remaining ghee and gnocchi. Add curry leaf stems to pan; cook until crisp.
- 4Add peas, broad beans, spinach and gnocchi to tomato mixture; stir to mix and warm through. Season.
- 5Top with fried curry leaves, grated paneer and extra chilli, if you like. Serve with lime wedges.
We used unpeeled dutch cream potatoes to make the gnocchi.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019