- 1/3 cup (85g) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 5 large tomatoes (1.1kg), chopped coarsely
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 4 stems fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 2 cups (240g) frozen broad (fava) beans, blanched, shelled
- 100 grams (3oz) baby spinach leaves
- 50 grams (1½oz) paneer cheese, grated finely
- lime wedges, to serve
- 1 kilogram (2lb) potatoes, unpeeled (see tip)
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 grams (4½oz) paneer cheese, grated finely
- 1/2 cup (75g) potato flour
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1Make Indian-style gnocchi: Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Pierce potatoes all over; roast on an oven tray for 1 hour or until tender. Scoop out potato flesh; discard skins. Mash or rice potato onto a clean work surface. Add remaining ingredients; fold mixture to form a soft dough. Dust work surface with extra flour. Keep dough covered with a clean tea towel. Roll a quarter of the mixture into a 2cm x 50cm (¾in x 20in) long rope; cut into 3cm (1¼in) pieces. Cook gnocchi, in batches, in a large saucepan of simmering water for 1 minute or until gnocchi floats on the surface for 10 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a large oiled tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, while making the masala sauce.
- 2Heat half the ghee in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, chilli and garam masala, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is caramelised. Add tomato and stock; bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining ghee in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Pan-fry half the gnocchi for 1 minute on each side or until golden; transfer to an oven tray. Cover to keep warm. Wipe pan clean; repeat with remaining ghee and gnocchi. Add curry leaf stems to pan; cook until crisp.
- 4Add peas, broad beans, spinach and gnocchi to tomato mixture; stir to mix and warm through. Season.
- 5Top with fried curry leaves, grated paneer and extra chilli, if you like. Serve with lime wedges.
We used unpeeled dutch cream potatoes to make the gnocchi.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020