- 1/3 cup (60g) dairy-free spread
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup (45g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) 100% corn (maize) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 cup (135g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- cooking-oil spray
- 250 grams (8oz) strawberries, halved
- 2/3 cup (230g) golden syrup (or treacle)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1Beat dairy-free spread and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- 2Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- 3Fold sifted dry ingredients, soy milk and vinegar into egg mixture until the batter just comes together. (Do not over mix the batter; it may look slightly curdled at this stage.)
- 4Spray a heated waffle iron with oil; pour ½-cup batter over bottom element of waffle iron. Close iron; cook waffle for about 3 minutes or until browned both sides and crisp. Transfer waffle to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- 5Repeat step 4 to make a total of 8 waffles. Serve waffles with strawberries, drizzled with golden syrup and dusted with icing sugar.
If you don't have a waffle iron, you can cook the waffles in a jaffle iron.
Waffles can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months; reheat in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
You can use your favourite dairy-free milk in this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019