- 1/3 cup (60g) dairy-free spread
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup (45g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) 100% corn (maize) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 cup (135g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- cooking-oil spray
- 250 grams (8oz) strawberries, halved
- 2/3 cup (230g) golden syrup (or treacle)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1Beat dairy-free spread and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- 2Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- 3Fold sifted dry ingredients, soy milk and vinegar into egg mixture until the batter just comes together. (Do not over mix the batter; it may look slightly curdled at this stage.)
- 4Spray a heated waffle iron with oil; pour ½-cup batter over bottom element of waffle iron. Close iron; cook waffle for about 3 minutes or until browned both sides and crisp. Transfer waffle to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- 5Repeat step 4 to make a total of 8 waffles. Serve waffles with strawberries, drizzled with golden syrup and dusted with icing sugar.
If you don't have a waffle iron, you can cook the waffles in a jaffle iron.
Waffles can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months; reheat in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
You can use your favourite dairy-free milk in this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneYesterday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesYesterday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019