- 2 medium eggplants (600g), chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 200 grams swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 6 large roma (plum) tomatoes (540g), chopped
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups (420g) Greek-style yoghurt
- 1½ cups (120g) finely grated parmesan (see tip)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Place four 2-cup (500ml) shallow ovenproof dishes on an oven tray.
- 2Combine eggplant and salt in a colander over a bowl. Stand for 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 2 minutes or until lightly golden. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Add garlic and tomato; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Pat eggplant dry between sheets of paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Heat half of the remaining oil in a large clean frying pan over high heat; cook half the eggplant, stirring, for 3 minutes or until golden and tender. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant. Stir eggplant and ¼ cup of the parsley into tomato mixture; season to taste. Spoon eggplant mixture into the dishes.
- 5Combine egg yolks, whole eggs, yoghurt and 1⅓ cups of parmesan in a medium bowl. Spoon yoghurt mixture over eggplant mixture in dishes; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Serve topped with remaining parsley.
Eggplant and tomato mixture can be made a day ahead, to the end of step 4.Traditionally parmesan is made with calf rennet. When purchasing check ingredients to see that the cheese is vegetarian, make sure it doesn't contain calf rennet. Serve with green leafy salad.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021