Egg white omelettes
- 3 bacon rashers
- 200 gram button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoon water
- 12 egg whites
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) grated cheddar cheese
- 8 slice bread
- 100 gram baby rocket leaves
Egg white omelettes
- 1Trim the rind and fat from the bacon and slice thinly. Add the bacon to a non-stick frying pan; cook, stirring, until crisp. Remove from the pan. Add the mushrooms to the same pan and cook, stirring, until browned lightly. Stir in the water, remove the pan from the heat.
- 2Meanwhile, beat half of the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold in half of the chives. Spoon half of the mixture into a non-stick frying pan (base measures 20cm) coated lightly with cooking oil spray. Cook until browned underneath.
- 3Place the pan under a preheated grill and cook until set on top. Sprinkle one side of the omelette with a quarter of the cheese, mushrooms and bacon. Fold the omelette in half, transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make four omelettes. Serve with toasted bread and rocket.
It is easier to buy frozen egg whites for this recipe. If using fresh eggs, freeze the yolks in small containers of three or four yolks each - they can be used later in custards or baking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- The-night-before Christmas ice-cream cakeYesterday 11:50pm
- CassataYesterday 1:00pm
- Hash brownsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Julie Goodwin shares her chocolate trifle recipeNov 20, 2019
- Melting momentsNov 20, 2019
- Best ever Christmas fruit cake recipeNov 20, 2019
- Fresh apricot jamNov 20, 2019
- Spiced Christmas biscuitsNov 20, 2019
- Super-moist rich fruit cakeNov 20, 2019
- How to cook lamb backstrapNov 20, 2019
- Brandy custardNov 20, 2019
- Moist Christmas cakeNov 20, 2019
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 20, 2019