- roast meat juices
- 4 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 1/2 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Remove roast meat from baking dish; keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove, over medium heat. Bring pan drippings to boil, reduce heat, simmer until all juices in baking dish have evaporated and only fat remains. Pour off excess fat from pan, leaving approximately 6 tbsp of fat.
- 2Leave baking dish over medium heat, add flour, stir until combined with fat.
- 3Reduce heat to low, continue stirring until flour is of a good brown consistency; do not allow to burn.
- 4Remove baking dish from heat, add stock all at once, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until flour and stock is combined.
- 5Return baking dish to medium heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can vary it by substituting some red or white wine for part of the stock; or, for lamb, substituting 1/2 cup mint sauce for 1/2 cup of stock. Any favourite herbs can be added; basil, oregano etc. For extra colour, 1 tablespoon tomato paste can be added with the stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Baked rice custardToday 5:26am
- Slow-cooked beef ragu with pappardelleToday 2:21am
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Slow cooker bean bourgignonYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker veal rolls (involtini) with prosciutto and sageYesterday 2:00pm
- Spinach gozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- 45 comforting custard dessertsYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Ragù alla bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomato, chilli and fettaYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am