- roast meat juices
- 4 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 1/2 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Remove roast meat from baking dish; keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove, over medium heat. Bring pan drippings to boil, reduce heat, simmer until all juices in baking dish have evaporated and only fat remains. Pour off excess fat from pan, leaving approximately 6 tbsp of fat.
- 2Leave baking dish over medium heat, add flour, stir until combined with fat.
- 3Reduce heat to low, continue stirring until flour is of a good brown consistency; do not allow to burn.
- 4Remove baking dish from heat, add stock all at once, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until flour and stock is combined.
- 5Return baking dish to medium heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can vary it by substituting some red or white wine for part of the stock; or, for lamb, substituting 1/2 cup mint sauce for 1/2 cup of stock. Any favourite herbs can be added; basil, oregano etc. For extra colour, 1 tablespoon tomato paste can be added with the stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021