- 4 teaspoons (14g) dry yeast
- ½ cup (125ml) warm water
- ¾ cup (180ml) unsweetened almond milk (see tips)
- 80 g vegan margarine spread, melted
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- ½ cup (75g) blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Combine yeast and the warm water in a small bowl; stand for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- 2Combine yeast mixture, almond milk, spread, sugar and salt in a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add flour; beat until a smooth dough forms. Place dough in a large oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap and stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 3Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Using a lightly floured knife, cut dough into 32 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball; place balls on tray about 2cm (¾in) apart. Cover with oiled plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until dough has risen and is light.
- 4Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with oil; heat over medium heat to 180°C/350°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). Deep-fry doughnuts, in batches, for 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through; drain on paper towel.
- 5Make blueberry glaze; pour over doughnuts. Serve doughnuts warm or stand until cooled.
- 6Sift icing sugar into a medium bowl; add remaining ingredients. Mash blueberries with a fork; stir until well combined. Strain glaze through a sieve.
You could also use soy or coconut milk instead of almond milk. These doughnuts are best served on the day they are made.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 indulgent dark chocolate recipesYesterday 9:16pm
- Embrace eggplant with these tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chopped tomato salad with sesame saltYesterday 1:00pm
- 14 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Flourless chocolate, prune & hazelnut cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Dark chocolate mud cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Sesame chicken katsu saladFeb 13, 2020
- How to: BarbecueFeb 13, 2020
- Apricot and tahini bliss ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Choc-nut brownie ballsFeb 13, 2020
- Vegetable gado gado with peanut sauceFeb 13, 2020
- Loaded potato saladFeb 13, 2020
- Shepherdless pieFeb 13, 2020