A staple of Greek cuisine, dolmades are rich in flavour with pine nuts, sultanas, onions and rice wrapped in vine leaves and drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (400g) spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (80g) pine nuts
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) white medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 200 gram packet vine leaves in brine
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan; cook onion, pine nuts and garlic, stirring, until onion is softened and pine nuts are browned lightly. Add rice; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add herbs, sultanas, juice and remaining oil; remove from heat.
- 2Rinse vine leaves under cold water; drain well and pat dry. Line base of a large heavy-based saucepan with about 10 of the damaged vine leaves. Place another leaf, vein-side-up, on a board. Cut off stem if it's attached. Place 1 level tablespoon of rice mixture in the centre of the leaf, above the point where the stem was. Fold in two sides; roll tightly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and rice mixture.
- 3Place rolls, in a single layer, on leaves in the pan; pack in tightly so they cannot unroll during cooking. Cover dolmades with lemon slices, then remaining vine leaves. Place a large heatproof plate on top of dolmades so they can't move during cooking. Add the water to the saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, for about 1 hour or until the rice is cooked.
- 4Serve dolmades at room temperature.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeToday 6:02am
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Classic beef lasagneYesterday 2:00pm
- Baked lemon and coconut tartYesterday 2:00pm
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Leek and mushroom lasagneYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniYesterday 2:00pm
- Traditional Greek recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 gluten-free dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best spaghetti bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinYesterday 2:00pm
- Chocolate indulgence cakeYesterday 2:00pm