- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (400g) spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (80g) pine nuts
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) white medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 200 gram packet vine leaves in brine
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan; cook onion, pine nuts and garlic, stirring, until onion is softened and pine nuts are browned lightly. Add rice; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add herbs, sultanas, juice and remaining oil; remove from heat.
- 2Rinse vine leaves under cold water; drain well and pat dry. Line base of a large heavy-based saucepan with about 10 of the damaged vine leaves. Place another leaf, vein-side-up, on a board. Cut off stem if it's attached. Place 1 level tablespoon of rice mixture in the centre of the leaf, above the point where the stem was. Fold in two sides; roll tightly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and rice mixture.
- 3Place rolls, in a single layer, on leaves in the pan; pack in tightly so they cannot unroll during cooking. Cover dolmades with lemon slices, then remaining vine leaves. Place a large heatproof plate on top of dolmades so they can't move during cooking. Add the water to the saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, for about 1 hour or until the rice is cooked.
- 4Serve dolmades at room temperature.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Custard tartToday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesToday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020
- Vegetarian pasta recipesMay 28, 2020