Deep-fried ice cream balls
- 350 gram bought madeira cake, coarsely chopped
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice-cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup packaged dried breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- flavoured ice cream topping and fruit, to serve
Deep fried ice-cream balls
- 1Line a baking tray with baking paper. Process cake to make fine crumbs. Place cake crumbs in a large bowl.
- 2Working quickly, roll ice-cream scoops in crumbs to coat evenly. Place on prepared tray. Freeze ice cream balls for 30 minutes or until firm. Reserve leftover crumbs.
- 3Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg, then in reserved cake crumbs to coat. Pat firmly to secure. Return to prepared tray.
- 4Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm. Repeat coating and freezing sequence with remaining egg and dried breadcrumbs.
- 5Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over moderately high heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil). Deep-fry balls, in batches, for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- 6Using a slotted spoon. transfer balls to paper towels to drain. Serve at once with topping and fruit.
You can use any plain un-iced cake for crumbs. Ice cream balls must be frozen solid before you fry them or ice-cream will leak into hot oil and splatter.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Deep-pan pepperoni pizzaAug 15, 2022
- How to bake fresh sourdough batardAug 15, 2022
- Mushroom and goat’s cheese ravioliAug 15, 2022
- Grilled chicken with barley pilafAug 15, 2022
- 28 easy cheesecake slicesAug 15, 2022
- Pasta winterveraAug 15, 2022
- 24 vegetarian lasagne recipesAug 15, 2022
- Tuna mornayAug 15, 2022
- 31 brilliant baked cheesecakesAug 14, 2022
- Overnight oats with muddled strawberriesAug 14, 2022
- Classic blueberry muffinsAug 14, 2022
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022