Deep-fried ice cream balls
- 350 gram bought madeira cake, coarsely chopped
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice-cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup packaged dried breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- flavoured ice cream topping and fruit, to serve
Deep fried ice-cream balls
- 1Line a baking tray with baking paper. Process cake to make fine crumbs. Place cake crumbs in a large bowl.
- 2Working quickly, roll ice-cream scoops in crumbs to coat evenly. Place on prepared tray. Freeze ice cream balls for 30 minutes or until firm. Reserve leftover crumbs.
- 3Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg, then in reserved cake crumbs to coat. Pat firmly to secure. Return to prepared tray.
- 4Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm. Repeat coating and freezing sequence with remaining egg and dried breadcrumbs.
- 5Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over moderately high heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil). Deep-fry balls, in batches, for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- 6Using a slotted spoon. transfer balls to paper towels to drain. Serve at once with topping and fruit.
You can use any plain un-iced cake for crumbs. Ice cream balls must be frozen solid before you fry them or ice-cream will leak into hot oil and splatter.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020