Curried chicken pies
- 1.6 kilogram chicken
- 90 gram butter
- 1 (150g) white onion, chopped finely
- 2 (300g) stalks celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 (200g) leek, chopped finely
- 1 (200g) red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped finely
- 3 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 (sheets) puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
Curried chicken pies
- 1Place chicken in a large saucepan with enough water to just cover the chicken, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Remove pan from heat, when cool enough to handle, remove chicken from stock. Reserve 1¾ cups (430ml) of the stock for this recipe.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 3Remove skin and bones from chicken, coarsely chop chicken flesh.
- 4Heat butter in a large frying pan, cook onion, celery, leek and capsicum, stirring, until vegetables are soft.
- 5Add curry powder and chilli powder, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in flour. Add reserved stock, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens, reduce heat, simmer 1 minute, remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, chopped chicken and parsley. Spoon mixture into six 1¼-cup (310ml) ovenproof dishes.
- 6Cut pastry into six rounds large enough to cover top of each dish. Lightly brush pastry with egg. Place pies on oven tray.
- 7Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced), bake pies for further 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020