- 10 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (280g) pure icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) shredded coconut
- 500 gram small strawberries, halved lengthways
- 500 gram raspberries
- pure icing sugar, extra, to serve
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 750 gram mascarpone
Coconut and mascarpone cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease three large oven trays. Mark a 26cm circle on three sheets of baking paper, then turn over and place of the greased trays.
- 2Beat the egg whites in the large of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Gently fold int he sifted icing sugar, then the almond meal and coconuts.
- 3Divide mixture evenly between three trays and spread within the marked circles. Smooth tops. Bake for about 1½ hours or until dry to touch. Cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- 4Make mascarpone filling: Beat the egg, lemon rind and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and thick. Gradually fold in the mascarpone until just combined.
- 5Reserve 24 small, even-sized strawberry halves. Gently fold remaining strawberries into mascarpone filling.
- 6Gently invert each coconut disc and remove the baking paper. Place a coconut disc on a large serving plate. Use the removable base of a flan tin to help move the disks.
- 7Cover the disc with half the mascarpone filling and spread almost to the edge. Arrange 12 strawberry halves around the edge; top with the second disk. Press gently but firmly. Top with the remaining mascarpone filling; arrange remaining halved stawberries around the outside, then position the last disk.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- 9To serve the cake, top with the raspberries and dust lightly with the extra sifted icing sugar.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021