- 10 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (280g) pure icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) shredded coconut
- 500 gram small strawberries, halved lengthways
- 500 gram raspberries
- pure icing sugar, extra, to serve
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 750 gram mascarpone
Coconut and mascarpone cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease three large oven trays. Mark a 26cm circle on three sheets of baking paper, then turn over and place of the greased trays.
- 2Beat the egg whites in the large of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Gently fold int he sifted icing sugar, then the almond meal and coconuts.
- 3Divide mixture evenly between three trays and spread within the marked circles. Smooth tops. Bake for about 1½ hours or until dry to touch. Cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- 4Make mascarpone filling: Beat the egg, lemon rind and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and thick. Gradually fold in the mascarpone until just combined.
- 5Reserve 24 small, even-sized strawberry halves. Gently fold remaining strawberries into mascarpone filling.
- 6Gently invert each coconut disc and remove the baking paper. Place a coconut disc on a large serving plate. Use the removable base of a flan tin to help move the disks.
- 7Cover the disc with half the mascarpone filling and spread almost to the edge. Arrange 12 strawberry halves around the edge; top with the second disk. Press gently but firmly. Top with the remaining mascarpone filling; arrange remaining halved stawberries around the outside, then position the last disk.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- 9To serve the cake, top with the raspberries and dust lightly with the extra sifted icing sugar.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltYesterday 1:00pm
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladYesterday 1:00pm
- White Christmas sliceYesterday 12:56am
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019
- Prawn and mango saladDec 02, 2019
- Cocktail sauceDec 02, 2019