- 3 teaspoon (10g) instant yeast
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lukewarm water
- 80 gram butter
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cup (450g) plain (all-pupose) flour
- canola oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Combine yeast and the water in a small bowl, stir until yeast is dissolved.
- 2Place butter and milk in a small saucepan over high heat; stir until butter is melted. Cool until lukewarm.
- 3Place yeast mixture, butter mixture, sugar, salt, egg yolks and sifted flour in a large bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a soft sticky dough. Cover bowl; stand in a warm place for about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 4Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently until just smooth. Roll dough out until 1cm thick. Using a floured 8cm round cutter and a floured 2.5cm round cutter, cut rounds from dough, removing the centres with the smaller cutter. Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling when necessary. Place rounds on baking-paper-lined oven trays. Stand for 15 minutes.
- 5Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok until it reaches 150°C on a candy thermometer (or until the base of a wooden spoon bubbles when placed in the oil). Deep-fry doughnuts three at a time for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- 6Toss doughnuts immediately in combined extra sugar and cinnamon; serve doughnuts warm.
Never walk away from hot oil; if doughnuts are over browning, reduce the heat of the oil. They are best eaten on the day of making. Reheat cold doughnuts in 10-second bursts in the microwave until just warm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019