- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) chokoes, peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 2 large brown onions (400g), chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cup (440g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, extra
- 1Combine choko, onion and salt in large non-metallic bowl; stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- 2Combine vegetables with curry powder, mustard powder, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or until pickle is thick.
- 3Blend cornflour with extra vinegar in small bowl until smooth; stir into pickle. Simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon hot pickle into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when preparing chokoes as they will leave a sticky residue on your skin. Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. Serve with cold meats and cheese.