Don't let any of your veggies go to waste, turn them into a selection of tangy pickles for later in the year.
Now you've started your pickling journey, continue on with our favourite preserved fruits and vegetables from classic bread and butter pickles to Vietnamese pickled carrot and even pickled eggs thrown in for good measure.
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) chokoes, peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 2 large brown onions (400g), chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cup (440g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, extra
- 1Combine choko, onion and salt in large non-metallic bowl; stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- 2Combine vegetables with curry powder, mustard powder, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or until pickle is thick.
- 3Blend cornflour with extra vinegar in small bowl until smooth; stir into pickle. Simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon hot pickle into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when preparing chokoes as they will leave a sticky residue on your skin. Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. Serve with cold meats and cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021