Don't let any of your veggies go to waste, turn them into a selection of tangy pickles for later in the year.
Now you've started your pickling journey, continue on with our favourite preserved fruits and vegetables from classic bread and butter pickles to Vietnamese pickled carrot and even pickled eggs thrown in for good measure.
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) chokoes, peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 2 large brown onions (400g), chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cup (440g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, extra
- 1Combine choko, onion and salt in large non-metallic bowl; stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- 2Combine vegetables with curry powder, mustard powder, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or until pickle is thick.
- 3Blend cornflour with extra vinegar in small bowl until smooth; stir into pickle. Simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon hot pickle into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when preparing chokoes as they will leave a sticky residue on your skin. Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. Serve with cold meats and cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021