Don't let any of your veggies go to waste, turn them into a selection of tangy pickles for later in the year.
Now you've started your pickling journey, continue on with our favourite preserved fruits and vegetables from classic bread and butter pickles to Vietnamese pickled carrot and even pickled eggs thrown in for good measure.
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) chokoes, peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 2 large brown onions (400g), chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cup (440g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, extra
- 1Combine choko, onion and salt in large non-metallic bowl; stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- 2Combine vegetables with curry powder, mustard powder, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or until pickle is thick.
- 3Blend cornflour with extra vinegar in small bowl until smooth; stir into pickle. Simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- 4Spoon hot pickle into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Wear disposable gloves when preparing chokoes as they will leave a sticky residue on your skin. Store pickle in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening. Refrigerate after opening. Serve with cold meats and cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021