These and other delicious gluten-free recipes are available in our book Gluten Free Baking.
- ²⁄³ cup ( 90g) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¹⁄³ cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ¹⁄³ cup (25g) desiccated coconut
- 85 grams (3oz) butter, melted
- 395 grams (12½oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 40 grams (1½oz) butter, extra
- ¾ cup (105g) roasted salted peanuts
- 150 grams (4½oz) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 19cm (8in) square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) above sides.
- 2Combine sifted flour and cocoa, sugar, and coconut in a medium bowl; stir in melted butter until combined. Spoon into pan; use the back of a spoon to press mixture evenly over base of pan.
- 3Bake base for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- 4Place condensed milk, syrup and half of the extra butter in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, for 10 minutes or until caramel is thickened and a golden colour. Working quickly, pour caramel over the base in pan; smooth the surface level with a spatula. Press peanuts into caramel with a spatula. Bake for 10 minutes; cool.
- 5Place chocolate and remaining extra butter in a medium heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl); stir until chocolate melts. Pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer. Cool slice completely before removing from pan and cutting into pieces.
Slice will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.You can omit the peanuts or swap them for coarsely chopped macadamias or roasted peeled hazelnut halves, if preferred.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerYesterday 10:15pm
- 20 easy desserts made with your favourite cerealsYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas tree shortbreadsYesterday 6:06am
- Jam shortbread snowflakesYesterday 6:00am
- Lemon chickenYesterday 3:57am
- Lemon chicken rissolesYesterday 3:27am
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceYesterday 1:41am
- White choc-mint candy cane barkYesterday 12:29am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Coconut riceNov 29, 2021