Chocolate hazelnut pie
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 100 gram butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
- 150 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 125 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon iced water, approximately
Chocolate hazelnut pie
- 1Make pastry: Process flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and enough of the water, processing until ingredients come together. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Enclose pastry in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Grease a 24cm round loose-based fluted flan pan. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line pan. Ease pastry into pan, press into base and side; trim edge. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 4Place pan on an oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for 15 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool.
- 5Place nuts on an oven tray; roast for 5 minutes or until browned lightly, cool. Place nuts in a tea towel; rub to remove skins. Place nuts in pastry case.
- 6Combine sugar, butter, extract and ⅔ cup cream in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until golden and thickened. Pour caramel over nuts; cool until filling is firm.
- 7Place chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Bring remaining cream to the boil in a small saucepan. Pour hot cream over chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread chocolate mixture over pie. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Remove pie from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
Store leftover pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Croque monsieurYesterday 7:00pm
- Osso buco with gremolataYesterday 5:00pm
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019