- 600 grams dutch cream potatoes, cut into 1cm thick slices
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 medium eggplants (1.2kg)
- 1 cup (200g) French-style green lentils
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 medium red capsicum (200g), chopped finely
- 2 cups (500ml) bottled tomato passata
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 200 grams firm vegetarian fetta, crumbled
- ½ cup (50g) grated vegetarian mozzarella
- extra fresh thyme leaves, to serve (optional)
- 1½ cups (360g) fresh ricotta
- 1 cup (280g) Greek-style yoghurt
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place potato in a single layer on a large lightly oiled oven tray; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the oregano. Season. Turn potato slices to coat evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned; set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, cut 3 of the eggplants lengthways into 1cm (½in) thick slices. Place eggplant in a single layer on two trays. Brush eggplant with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter with 1 teaspoon of the oregano, then season. Working in batches, cook eggplant slices on a heated chargrill plate (or chargrill pan or barbecue) for 5 minutes on each side or until browned and tender. Transfer cooked eggplant to baking-paper-lined trays.
- 4Place lentils and 1 litre (4 cups) water in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain, rinse under cold water; drain well.
- 5Cut remaining eggplant into 2cm (¾in) pieces. Heat remaining oil in a large heavy-based saucepan; cook onion and garlic for 4 minutes or until soft. Add chopped eggplant; cook for 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Stir in carrot and capsicum; cook for 4 minutes. Stir in passata and ½ cup (125ml) water, the thyme and remaining oregano. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 7 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Stir in drained lentils; season to taste.
- 6Make ricotta bechamel.ricotta bechamel Whisk ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
- 7Arrange potato slices in a single layer in an oiled 3 litre (12-cup), 22.5cm x 36cm (9in x 14½in) ovenproof dish; top with half the lentil mixture, then half the eggplant slices, placing them in a single layer. Repeat layering with remaining lentil mixture and remaining eggplant slices. Spoon ricotta bechamel on top; top with fetta and mozzarella, then drizzle with a little more oil. Bake for 55 minutes or until heated through and top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 8Serve half the lentil bake topped with extra thyme leaves. Transfer remaining lentil bake to an airtight container; cool, then store.
Serve with simple green salad (page 217) or lemony lettuce wedges , if you like.Refrigerate lentil bake for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021