- 1/4 cup (20g) slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken thigh fillets, chopped finely
- 1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 long green chilli, seeded, chopped finely
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 8 (sheets) fillo pastry
- 60 gram (2 ounces) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/2 medium pomegranate (160g)
- 1 cup (280g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1Toast nuts in a large frying pan over low heat until browned lightly. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat half the oil in same pan over medium heat; cook chicken, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3Add onion, garlic, chilli and remaining oil to pan; cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add saffron, ground coriander, ground ginger and half the cinnamon; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; cool slightly. Stir in egg, herbs and toasted nuts; cool.
- 4Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Oil an oven tray; line with baking paper.
- 5Layer four pastry sheets, brushing each with some of the butter. Cut layered pastry into six rectangles. Place 2 tablespoons chicken mixture along short side of each rectangle. Roll to enclose filling. Place on tray, brush with more butter. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and chicken mixture.
- 6Bake pastries for 20 minutes or until golden. Stand on tray 5 minutes before transferring to a platter. Dust with icing sugar and remaining cinnamon.
- 7Meanwhile, remove seeds and juice from pomegranate. Stir juice and most of the seeds through yoghurt in a small bowl; sprinkle with remaining seeds.
- 8Serve bisteeya with yoghurt mixture.
Bisteeya are best made on day of serving. They are not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaAug 08, 2022
- Gluten free basic biscuitsAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasAug 08, 2022
- Veal braciole with rice and peasAug 08, 2022
- Beef mince and rice burritosAug 08, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022