- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 gram pancetta, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 kilogram lean beef mince
- 140 gram tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, to taste
- 50 gram butter
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 3 1/2 cup (875ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 375 gram fresh lasagne sheets
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish.
- 2Add pancetta; cook 2-3 minutes, or until its fat starts to run. Add onions and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes, or until translucent. Add beef; cook 6-7 minutes, or until brown.
- 3Add tomato paste, thyme, wine, tomatoes and seasoning; bring to the boil.
- 4Cover with a cartouche (a round of baking paper that sits directly on meat sauce). Cover with lid; simmer gently 45 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 6Meanwhile, in a heavy-based saucepan, melt butter over a medium-low heat. Add flour and mustard; cook thoroughly, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat.
- 7Stirring or whisking constantly, gradually add milk to roux, making sure lumps are stirred or whisked out after each addition. Continue to add milk until you have a smooth, thick sauce.
- 8Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and is thick and velvety. Stir in 1 cup cheddar; season with salt and pepper.
- 9In a 35 x 25cm oven dish, alternately layer meat sauce and pasta for 2 layers each. Add half the white sauce. Repeat layers, finishing with pasta.
- 10Top pasta layer with remaining white sauce and cheese. Bake 40 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Serve with salad.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021